Sunday, April 19, 2009

Enacting tragic scenes is Irene's forte

Enacting tragic scenes is Irene's forte

By Gilbert D'Mello



The over century old Konkani tiatr has been swiftly marching forward with more and more educated boys and girls taking to stage-acting. One such artist is Irene Cardoz e Vaz from Maddel in Margao.



Married to the noted tiatrist Sylvester Vaz now based in Kuwait , Irene who shot into the limelight in the late Rosario Rodrigues' tiatr 'Sopna' in 1985, is a post graduate in Arts. "I was 15 years old and had just passed SSC from St. Anthony's High School - Assolna in Salcete when the tiatrist Mario Menezes first introduced me to the late Rosario Rodrigues" informs Irene.

Thus began her acting career as she acted in Rodrigues' several tiatrs such as Fulham ani Kolle, Hanv Kallukant Sadlim and Ashram. Since then she has acted for most of the well-known stage directors like Patric Dourado in "Tin Fungotteamche Maran" and "Nomoskar" and also for M Boyer, Prem Kumar , Jose Rod, Prince Jacob, Fr. Planton Faria , Fr. Nevelle Gracias, Pascoal Rodrigues, Tony Dias and Mini Mario.



Give her any role in a tiatr and she performs it with immaculate perfection both to the satisfaction of the tiatr director and the audience as well. "I do not mind to play any role in a tiatr if at all I am allotted one, but I do certainly love to play a tragedy role, which is very dear to me", discloses Irene.



Whenever she is allotted a role in tiatr, she studies the script thoroughly before the commencement of the general rehearsals. " Believe me, I make all efforts to first rehearse the dialogues and their delivery before a mirror at home before going for the general rehearsals", informs Irene who has been into stage acting for almost two decades. "The exhortation in the Bible of Mathew 25:14-30 inspired me into stage acting" discloses the artist who is also in the 'Charismatic Movement' for a long time.

She is very grateful to her parents for being very supportive to her in her acting career right from her younger days. "It was indeed my parents who exhorted me to march ahead but for whom I would not have achieved such name and fame today," she remarks.



"After I married, my husband Sylvester, also let me his full support to continue with acting as he was very broadminded", asserted Irene proudly. She began first in Khell- tiatrs but after her marriage, she took a plunge in tiatrs and began singing in the company of her husband.



Commenting on the quality of tiatrs, Irene opines that the tiatr has come off age today, which indeed is a good sign. She warns the tiatr directors to exercise utmost caution and not portray any kind of vulgarity through cheap comedy, as that would lead to the destruction of the unique form of folk art. "Let the stage be a pulpit from where good morals and values are propagated to the audience specially to the younger generation of today," counsels Irene.



God has given me this great talent of acting and I am using it fully for the greater glory of the Almighty", says Irene who is also regarded in tiatr circles a the tragedy queen. A dashing footballer too. Irene represented Goa in 1987 when she was in the twelfth standard. Irene is blessed with a six year old son, Jeremiah.



HERALD-Mirror dated October 24, 2004

No comments:

Post a Comment